Sound therapies can be used to help you desensitize to the tinnitus you are hearing. Sound therapies are not aimed to cure the tinnitus, but to significantly lower the perception or burden of tinnitus.
Sound therapies can take a number of forms:
- Hearing aids that can
- generate sounds such as masking noise or fractal tones
- amplify surrounding environmental and speech sounds to divert attention away from the tinnitus
- Tinnitus devices such as the Neuromonics Tinnitus Treatment
- Using external sounds to divert attention from the tinnitus
Masking noise or fractal musical tones (Widex ZEN) and the Neuromonics Tinnitus Treatment stimulate the auditory pathways and reduce the hyperactivity in the brain that is associated with tinnitus and hence reduce the perception of tinnitus. Each of these devices uses its own specific and patented sound to manage tinnitus. Our audiologists will advise you on the best solution for your individual needs.
Tinnitus masking noise and fractal tones are incorporated into hearing aids making these combination devices:
- Easy and discreet to use because they are housed in a small, on-the-ear device
- If there is a hearing loss, both tinnitus and hearing loss can also be addressed with the same device
The Neuromonics Tinnitus Treatment uses a small lightweight device with headphones to deliver spectrally modified, precisely designed music embedded with an acoustic neural stimulus, to your ears and brain. We offer different levels of Neuromonics sound therapy depending on your individual needs. We will discuss these options during your tinnitus consultation.
The Oasis device (pictured) is part of one of the most comprehensive Neuromonics treatments that we offer; this treatment uses the Oasis device tailored to your audiological and tinnitus profile combined with a 6-month individualized counselling program to achieve optimal results.