Batteries used in hearing aids are small "button" size batteries and may be a hazard to young children.
In fact, these small coin size batteries are found everywhere in the home including in TV remote controls, kitchen and bathroom scales, flameless candles and tea lights, reading lights, calculators, and talking books, not only hearing aids.
Due to the relatively high number of batteries used with hearing aids - hearing aid batteries will last between 1 and 4 weeks - it is important that all hearing aid users and carers of people using hearing aids are vigilant at keeping batteries out of sight and out of the reach of children.
- Keep coin-sized button batteries and devices out of sight and out of reach of children
- Dispose of used button batteries immediately. Flat batteries can still be dangerous. Hearing aid zinc-air batteries can be disposed of in general waste or they may be be recycled - check with your local council about battery recycling.
- If you suspect a child has swallowed a button battery, immediately go to a hospital emergency room. Do not let the child eat or drink and do not induce vomiting.
- Call the Poisons Information Centre on 13 11 26 for additional treatment information.
- Tell others about the risk associated with button batteries and how to keep their children safe.
- Examine other non hearing aid equipment and make sure the battery compartment is secure